How do I analyze qualitative data?
- Qualitative data analysis is the study and interpretation of non-numerical, or categorical, data.
- Qualitative data analysis is especially useful when seeking information regarding patient experience, context, and perceptions.
- One key aspect of qualitative data analysis is data coding, which helps categorize and organize data.
Helpful Links, Videos and Online Courses
- Collecting and Analyzing Qualitative Data
- Comprehensive overview discussing qualitative methods, data interpretation, and requirements for analysis from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Qualitative Data Analysis Open Source Resources
- Scroll down to find a list of free and open-source software available to conduct qualitative data analysis and coding.
- Fundamentals of Qualitative Research Methods: Data Analysis
- A 17-minute module from a six-part series about qualitative studies, with this module focusing on data analysis. Provides an overview about the coding process specifically.
Templates and Examples
- A hands-on guide to doing content analysis:
- This source provides some tips and tricks of qualitative data analysis for new researchers, using the context of emergency care medicine in Africa.
- Belotto, M. J. (2018). Data analysis methods for qualitative research: Managing the challenges of coding, interrater reliability, and thematic analysis.The Qualitative Report, 23(11), 2622-2633.
- Elliott, V. (2018). Thinking about the coding process in qualitative data analysis.The Qualitative Report, 23(11), 2850-2861.