What is quantitative research and what are the different types?
- Quantitative research designs use numerical data that can be analyzed statistically or mathematically.
- Types of quantitative research include non-experimental or experimental designs.
- It is important to understand the strengths and limitations of quantitative studies to ensure that the appropriate design is chosen for a research project.
Helpful Links, Videos and Online Courses
- Quantitative Methods – Organizing Your Social Sciences Research Paper
- A comprehensive guide from the University of Southern California for understanding quantitative research designs along with their strengths and limitations.
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research Techniques for Humanitarian Needs Assessment
- This article describes the methods, sampling study designs, questionnaire tools, and analysis of the quantitative study. It also discusses qualitative research designs and the difference between the two.
- Key Elements of a Research Proposal – Quantitative Design
- Describes elements of a research proposal with a quantitative design, and the types of quantitative research including descriptive, correlational, quasi-experimental, and experimental.
- Quantitative Methods Overview – Quantitative Research and Analysis
- A webpage from LeTourneau University provides a clear overview of quantitative research and analysis, its goals, and certain pitfalls to avoid.
- Basic Quantitative Research Overview
- A 16-minute video that provides a basic overview of quantitative research along with the application of hypothesis, concepts of observation, confirmation, sampling, and power of analysis in quantitative research.
- Quantitative Research: An Overview
- This short 4-minute video provides a basic overview of quantitative research along with considerations for each type of design (descriptive, correlational, quasi-experimental, and experimental).
- Introduction to Research, Quantitative/Qualitative & Sample Research Titles
- This 20-minute video describes the quantitative research designs along with the data collection methods and quantitative research titles. It is within a larger discussion about research methods in general.