How do I write a formal document that describes my study?
- Research protocols serve as guidelines for conducting research.
- They are short, stand-alone documents that complement the abstract in describing the rationale for research methods or proceedings.
- Protocols explain the essential or technical elements of the process, often with special attention to safety considerations.
Helpful Links, Videos and Online Courses
- Format for Research Protocol
- This article from the World Health Organization offers recommendations for writing a succinct research protocol.
- It describes the format, content, and special considerations to include.
- How to Develop a Competitive Research Protocol
- This 42-page document describes the main elements of the research protocol in detail.
- It offers advice and examples for each component of the protocol, like the title, problem description, timetable, and safety considerations.
- Al Jundi, A., & Sakka, S. (2016). Protocol writing in clinical research. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, 10(11), ZE10–ZE13.
- Cameli, M., Novo, G., Tusa, M., Mandoli, G. E., Corrado, G., Benedetto, F., Antonini-Canterin, F., & Citro, R. (2018). How to write a research protocol: Tips and tricks. Journal of Cardiovascular Echography, 28(3), 151–153.