Developing A Research Question
How do I develop a clear research question about my topic?
- Developing a research question is likely the most important step in any research activity as this defines what the research project sets out to answer.
- Choosing a proper research question that fits the research design, timeline, budget and associated factors is essential for a successful research venture.
- Helpful criteria such as FINER (Feasible, Interesting, Novel, Ethical, Relevant) and PICOT (Patient or Problem, Intervention or Indicator, Comparison Group, Outcomes, Time) are available to guide the researcher for developing a suited research question.
Helpful Links, Videos and Online Courses
- Developing research questions – Research & Learning Online
- Monash University has provided a nice overview of useful steps to develop a research question.
- The Writing Center – How to Write a Research Question
- George Mason University provides a useful overview about research questions. It also highlights how to write a good research question and provides suitable examples.
- Developing a research question
- This short video of 7 minutes from the University of Melbourne offers very good pointers to develop a research question.
- Developing a Research Question – NKU
- Northern Kentucky University has an interesting video highlighting the basis of developing a research question in under 5 minutes.
- How to Write a Research Proposal – Online Course – FutureLearn
- University of Leicester offers a free online course on writing a research proposal. Though aimed for PhD applicants, it can be helpful for any aspiring researcher.
- Note: users will have to create an account and select the “Free” option. There is also unlimited access account available for $49
- Fandino, W. (2019a). Formulating a good research question: Pearls and pitfalls. Indian Journal of Anaesthesia, 63(8), 611.
- This article published in the Indian Journal of Anesthesia highlights about formulating a good research question, including key elements to include and pitfalls to avoid.