What is ethnographic research and why is it important?
- Ethnography is a term used for the study of people and their culture and customs.
- Most ethnographic studies are conducted in the field and ethnographers try to observe people without interfering, so that they do not influence the results of the study.
- There are many different ethical concerns and guidelines to consider and follow during ethnographic studies.
Helpful Links, Videos and Online Courses
- Ethnography, Observational Research, and Narrative Inquiry
- Paper was written by a team from Colorado State University explaining different types of observational research and the qualities of each.
- Field Research
- Defines the different types of qualitative research and also includes the pros and cons of each.
- Introduction to Ethnographic Methods
- Five-minute overview of the common themes within contemporary ethnographic research.
- Ethnographic Research
- Short, three-minute video explaining how ethnographic research can be applied to developing a product.