International and Ethical Standards for Authors
What are important standards related to ethical publication and authorship?
- Publication in an academic journal is the final stage of any research study which helps build the foundation of evidence-based medicine.
- There are some principles and standards for writing in an academic journal that apply to the research community all over the world.
- Knowledge about the fundamental principles of the best scholarly writing is essential for all authors to develop the best scientific manuscript.
Helpful Links, Videos and Online Courses
- This position statement, Responsible Research Publication: International Standards for Authors, describes the responsible reporting of scholarly research to promote research integrity.
- Simple and clear explanation about various issues of publication ethics.
- Precise explanation about international ethical standards with reference to various international organizations.
- Writing in the Sciences – Free and self-paced online course from Stanford School of Medicine, Stanford, California, U.S.A.
Templates and Examples
- This comprehensive library, Enhancing the Quality and Transparency of Health Research, contains various searchable databases of reporting guidelines according to the research type for the authors.
- This White Paper on Publication Ethics is a very important paper by the Council of Science Editors for promoting research integrity worldwide.
- Resources site from World Association of Medical Editors.
- International Committee of Medical Journal Editors. (2019). Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals.
- International Committee of Medical Journal Editors. (2021). Defining the Role of Authors and Contributors. Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals.