Preparing an Oral or Podium Presentation
How do I prepare an effective oral or podium presentation?
- An oral presentation (also referred to as a podium presentation) requires careful planning and practice, and a different skill set than the written format.
- Podium presentations often accompany a slideshow or poster, which requires the researcher to condense their project into key bullet points and descriptive visuals.
- A short, well-rehearsed, and clearly formatted oral presentation will set researchers apart at symposiums and conferences.
Helpful Links, Videos and Online Courses
- Oral Presentation Resources
- A helpful repository with resources for first time presenters from George Washington University focused on the content and delivery of an oral presentation.
- Ten Simple Rules for Making Good Oral Presentations
- A straightforward summary of how to effectively present research orally, with a focus on the delivery of the speech.
- How to Deliver an Oral Presentation
- An article that covers both the content and format of a PowerPoint or poster, in addition to tips for the delivery of the oral presentation itself.
- How to become a better scientific presenter – tips and tricks for scientists
- A 4-minute video that discusses holistic strategies for the presenter to calm their nerves, stay focused, and how to effectively deliver their presentation at a conference.
- How to give a great oral presentation
- A short video from the Microbiology Society that takes viewers through three steps of a presentation: planning, practicing, and delivery.
- How to give a good scientific talk
- A 5-minute video that discusses best practices for an oral presentation, what to include on the slides, and general rules of thumb for an engaging and concise scientific talk.
Templates and Examples
- Giving the Podium Presentation
- An informative article on steps for success in an oral presentation, from the content of the slides, to how to dress, and tips for the oral delivery of the work. Accompanies this helpful checklist for an oral presentation.
- Blome, C., Sondermann, H., & Augustin, M. (2017). Accepted standards on how to give a Medical Research Presentation: a systematic review of expert opinion papers. GMS Journal for Medical Education, 34(1), Doc11.
- Knott, J. C., Taylor, D. M., & Simon, E. L. (2020). Conference presentations: A research primer for low- and middle-income countries. African Journal of Emergency Medicine, 10(Suppl 2), S158–S160.