Preparing a Poster
How do I prepare an effective poster presentation?
- Posters are a method for presenting research findings in a written and visual way, as a hybrid between a paper and an oral presentation.
- Posters rely on visual appeal and should contain minimal but large-printed text, and useful summative visuals.
- Every poster should be tailored to the event that you are presenting for.
Helpful Links, Videos and Online Courses
- How to Prepare & Present a Scientific Poster
- This resource discusses the format and specifications for designing scientific posters, including suggestions for the format, design, and graphics to include.
- Scientific Poster Building
- A run-down from the University of Pittsburgh on scientific poster content, with a focus on how to select and display representative data.
- Guidelines for Poster Presenters A guide from Whitman University for undergraduate poster presentations. It considers key factors for poster design and presentation, like the software, layout, and writing style.
- Poster and Presentation ResourcesThis website provides hyperlinks to many resources related to poster design, presentation, and general tips.
- Designing an Effective Scientific Poster
- A 30-minute webinar from Research Medical Library that describes clear guidelines and instructions for poster design, as well as considerations from the conference host.
- How to Make an Academic Poster in PowerPoint
- This is a quick “how-to” video for creating and formatting an academic poster using PowerPoint software.
- The video covers content and layout, fonts, alignment, and how to export as a PDF.
Templates and Examples
- The Key Parts of a Scientific Poster
- This website provides free templates for scientific posters, as well as an outline of common sections for researchers who want to design their own.
- Scientific Poster Design: Good and Bad Examples
- This 10-minute video walks through examples of good and bad posters, highlighting key aspects of successful poster design.