Putting Together Your Team
How do I select members to be part of the research team?
- Getting the right team together to do the right tasks is essential for a successful research project.
- It is crucial that the research team is working together in a committed way towards a common research goal.
- Factors like clear goals, research emphasis, participative governance, decentralized organization, communication, resources, recruitment, selection, and leadership determine the success of a research team.
Helpful Links, Videos and Online Courses
- Clinical Trial Research Team Members
- The National Cancer Institute has a useful summary of the different roles team members can fill on a medical research team, from principal investigator to clinical nurse.
- How to Form A Clinical Research Team
- This resource describes how to form a clinical research team, with an overview of different positions like co-investigators, research coordinator, and more. It also describes how to recruit patients for a research study.
- Roles & Responsibilities of Clinical Research Team
- This 15-minute video offers a comprehensive overview of the roles and responsibilities of clinical research team members, within the framework of a contract research organization.
- Is it Easier to Build a Research Team From Scratch or Change an Existing One?
- The Oxford University Press has a short 5-minute video considering whether it is easier to build a research team from scratch or change an existing one.
- Ball, K. & Crawford, D. (2020). How to grow a successful – and happy – research team. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 17(4).