Writing a Cover Letter
How do I write an effective cover letter when submitting a manuscript for publication?
- The cover letter is an important statement that needs to be submitted with the manuscript addressing the editor of the journal.
- A cover letter is a brief introduction of the manuscript as well as the opportunity to convince journal editors for publication of the manuscript.
Helpful Links, Videos and Online Courses
- Writing Cover Letters for Scientific Manuscripts
- A concise article about various components of a cover letter, including an outline and specific tips.
- Prelude to a Good Story
- Short and clear explanation by the journal Nature Immunology about how to tailor the cover letter to appeal to journal editors.
- How to Write a Cover Letter for a Journal Paper Submission
- This 8-minute video describes the importance of cover letters and explains how to write a convincing cover letter in a simple and understandable way.
Templates and Examples
- Submissions | Journal of Nepal Medical Association
- This checklist from the Journal of Nepal Medical Association contains clear examples and complete templates for submitting a cover letter and manuscript.
- Writing effective cover letters for journal submissions: Tips and a Word template
- A primer on cover letters from ThinkSCIENCE, which includes a Word template and specifications to keep in mind before submitting.
- Nicholas, D. (2019). How to choose a journal and write a cover letter. Saudi Journal of Anesthesia, 13(5), 35-41.